Pages

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Lorde Takes Aim at Nicki Minaj & Drake in Interview: They Make Irrelevant Music

Lorde Takes Aim at Nicki Minaj & Drake in Interview: They Make Irrelevant Music

Always one to speak her mind, Lorde made Nicki Minaj and Drake her new targets in the December 2013 issue of Interview magazine.

During her chat with the publication, the "Royals" singer revealed her true feelings about the rap artists' songs and shared details about how she is managing her fame.

Check out a few highlights from Lorde's Q&A session below. For more, be sure to visit Interview!

On her music:
"Around the middle of last year, I started listening to a lot of rap, like Nicki Minaj and Drake, as well as pop singers like Lana Del Rey. They all sing about such opulence, stuff that just didn't relate to me - or anyone that I knew. I began thinking, 'How are we listening to this? It's completely irrelevant.' I basically just wrote what we were all thinking. I tend to start with a full set of lyrics, and then my producer, Joel Little, and I worked on the music collaboratively. As I've become more musically competent, we'll start with a beat, but everything revolves around the lyrics."

On her rise to fame:
"That's the good thing about starting off in New Zealand, there is absolutely no concept of 'celebrity' or fame. 'Famous' people here, like 'Shortland Street' actors, you all have mutual friends on Facebook, you know? Yeah, people are starting to recognize me now, which is kind of weird. But in New Zealand, it's easy to hide from that stuff. I think I'm really lucky to have a great family... I go to a public school, and you know, it's been a really hot summer here... and when I walk into class and my entire back is covered in sweat, I'm like, 'I'm definitely not that cool.' I think growing up in New Zealand, it's easy to keep grounded. But I have two sisters, one older and one younger, and it's fun for them. I've started to be given all this free stuff, so I give it to them."

On her songs on the radio:
"I hadn't really thought about where and when people would listen to the single 'The Love Club' when I released it, but I guess it's good for a party atmosphere. I was at a friend's birthday party recently and 'Royals' came on, and everyone looked at me. But I could not groove to my own songs."

Celebrity Scandals: Gossip Center

No comments:

Post a Comment